Invitation to the press conference
Project summary and notification letter
Municipality of Spoleto
11 local municipalities located along the bike path
A regional/national network of 8 sports and cultural associations
a Umbria Region and a promotional organization
31 foreigner body from 16 European Countries are also involved
Plan and organize a European sporting event of run, bike ride and hand-bike, involving diabetics athletes and disables, to raise awareness of fair sport and physical activity in promoting health, well-being and social inclusion.
- Promoting voluntary work in sport associations of runners, bikers and hand-bikers to spread sport among people with difficulty of access to sport (diabetics, with other physical disabilities too)
- Promoting access to sports/tourism/cultural route, developed between nature and medieval towns, suitable for special targets,
- Encouraging participation in sporting activities for everyone, such as running and cycling (and hand-cycling), for better social integration and personal development of two special target: diabetics athletes and/or people with physical disabilities,
- Creating a participatory planning rural laboratory (Sports Rural Lab) aimed at developing sports itineraries suitable for diabetics people, sustainable after the end of the project,
- Developing a participatory planning urban laboratory (Sport Urban Lab) aimed at planning integrated activities and initiatives for and with the project targets.
- Creating a (educational/informational) sustainable laboratory (Sports Skill Lab) aimed, after the end of the project, at creating and maintaining a network of specialists, doctors, tour guides, administrators, about social impact of itineraries suitable for everyone. Experts, also international experts, will be involved in educational activities.
The event is planned for a total 320 diabetics athletes from 16 European countries as well as 700 other participants belonging to local and national associations.
The main activities of the initiative will be:
ü presentation of the project and implementation of the communication plan
ü management of the sports week with non-competitive events,
ü three laboratories: Lab Rural, Urban Lab, Sports Skill Lab
ü free medical check-up for athletes, including disabled, for the prevention of diabetes
ü medical conferences on the relationship between sport and prevention of diabetes, conference on sport and access to quality itineraries in Europe for disabled people
ü think tank with experts, officials and politicians, in order to promote vertical mainstreaming actions and generate an impact on local policies, on the following issues: facilities for diabetics athletes, common regulations on rural and urban bike lanes, qualitative upgrading according to new European standards for the tourist routes.
Location: Sporting event will be organized in the most beautiful Italian bike trail (Assisi-Spoleto-Norcia) and in his cities.
THURSDAY, Aug. 30
- OPENING CEREMONY - Press conference - Briefing organizational presentation of sport tours and laboratory activities
FRIDAY, Aug. 31
- Preventive medical visits for diabetes with medical personnel in ambulances along the route - presentation and launch of the three LABs
SATURDAY, September 1
- Policy Think Tank -: Health Conference: " prevention of diseases; Prevention + Sports = Long Life Chances for diabetics new generations"
- Sport as a game, and part of the training (sports activities for diabetics children)
SUNDAY, September 2
Central day with all sports activities on the sites and on dedicated tracks:
BIKE: - MTB KM 102 Ring Spoleto Assisi, Norcia, - km 40 cycle Spoleto Norcia - 7 km Open MTB and classic - inside urban route to the city of Spoleto
RUN: - THE MILE, - 10 KM. - Half Marathon 22 Km - workshops and round table ending, previous feasibility about the sustainability of project actions
After the participation at the sport event, the involved target will have more confidence in their ability and they will be more aware that they can express their skills even if having physical limitations. The project will contribute also by increasing the capacity of public initiatives and institutional dialogue for the promotion and protection of the rights of people with disabilities. To find through the sport social moments in daily life. Institutions will have an interlocution with different european sport associations, with actors in the field of health promotion and actors operating in sport and health, specially sport for diabetic people. This dialogue will strengthen the capacity of institutions to promote and enhance the active participation of associations in implementing public policies in developing services closer to the needs of weaker people.
The involved institutions could create an international network to collaborate in the future to the creation of sporting events promoting these themes, looking at collaborations with experts in medical disciplines, urbanists and experts of city planning and of sport trails, to guarantee the effective inclusion of involved targets and to ameliorate territorial conditions for sports practice.
1) The European Decalogue (Charta); realized at the end of Diabetic MEDICAL conferences,
2) Video tutorial, it collects points of the Decalogue
3) the conclusions of the work of the three LABs, will gather in the Policy Think Tank and the end result will be the Common Guidelines for vertical mainstreaming on the three themes LABs.